Monday, December 20, 2010

Altruism

I do not believe in altruism, however, I do believe in man kind and the human heart.

I believe that we are all born with good inside of us, but it's our choice to use or neglect the good that is there. Some people are born with more than others, but we ALL are capable of good.

I believe that we do things for other people because it makes us and them feel good. We are as humans, needed and we like to fulfill that need to be needed by helping other people.

Even if you are devoting your life to religion and your path is to help others, you are fulfilling that devotion so that you may be well received in your passing on to the next world.

I do not think this is a bad thing at all! I think it's great, whatever the reason you have, to help your fellow man. I feel as though too many of us forget how to reach out a hand and instead are trying to grab at everyone else's.

People think in order to help someone you have to really devote time and energy, but that isn't always true. I know, that some days, all I need is a smile from someone. That helps me more than anything! Hugs are better though! :)

I do not devote my life to a religion, but I do have faith. I have faith in my fellow man. That he will guide and teach me in any way that he can to show me how to be better to everyone else.

We forget that helping people to feel better, or to smile, or to move, or whatever someone may need help with, is actually helpful for us too. It is very healing when you are depressed.

I know, after I got out of the Hospital in High School for major depression, I thought that nothing would help me feel better. Wrong! I got the perfect job. I worked at a Nursing Home that had mostly patients with dementia or Alzheimers. It was so hard at first, I forgot to be sad, and realized that all these people living this way were sad too. I had been living away from my house for almost three months not long before that, and even though there are people around you, they aren't your family. In fact, most resident's families rarely showed up. I made it my mission to get them to smile and laugh.

At first it was hard, but then it came so naturally and I was thankful for my mother's push to get a job. It was the best thing for me, and for the patients! They loved me, even if they couldn't remember my name, they remembered my laugh or smile, and I think that matters more! I loved them too!

Through the Holiday season and the rest of your life, I encourage you to reach out every day in a big or small way. Giving to those around you, only strengthens the bond between us. We are a pack animal, and we need to remember that everyone needs a hug or a hand, and that no gesture is too small, to strengthen the ties between us.

With Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment